Sunday 28 August 2011

Sam and Ethan's Baby Quilt


I made two baby quilts for my sister and my girlfriend who had a complicated pregnancy. Her son was in the hospital in intensive care for 6 months. I decided to make him a Quilt. It was my first time making a quilt so I decided to keep it simple.

Materials needed: I bought 8 or 9 different materials and about 12" of each. I had enough to make two different quilts.  I cut stripes of fabric in  2", 2 1/2", 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" by 32". The borders were cut  2 1/2" but you can go thicker if you want.
I bought about 46" of fabric for the back. You need a little bit more then the length of the quilt. I laid out the stripes so they wouldn't end up near each other and I varied the sizes of stripes. Sew the stripes with 1/4" seams.
After all the stripes were sewn together. I put the cricut cuts before the borders.
I used heat and bond lite to iron on the Cricut cuts. I also sewed around each letter and the branch and bird.
Next I put the borders on the sides first and then the top and bottom. I then laid it out. The backing first with the wrong side up, then batting and the top of the quilt. Pin it in lots of places.....the more pins the better. Pick it up and sew a curvy stitch on each of the stripe seams. You can also put a binding the same color as the border if you want.

The size of the quilt should be 36" across by 46" down(or close to it)
Good Luck!!!


                                                                                     


1 comment: